Subject: Re: PCDISPLAY_SOFTCURSOR
To: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/21/1999 01:51:57
> Firstly, concerns have been expressesd about documenting this in the
> pcdisplay(4) manpage, given that such a manpage might not be sufficiently
> useful to warrant looking in there too often and learning about this. Is
> there a better place to put this? My own feeling is that options(4) is
> really for more 'orphaned' options.

For me: it can go anywhere you like, so long as "man PCDISPLAY_SOFTCURSOR"
brings up a relevant man page -- hopefully with a good SEE ALSO section.

Don't waste time trying to think of the "intuitively correct" man page to
put something in. I would prefer it if we spent more time thinking of ways
to make the man system help us find each keyword no matter where it may be
hiding this month.

> Secondly, given the intertwined nature of pcdisplay/vga, it's not at all
> clear that this should be called PCDISPLAY_SOFTCURSOR at all (i.e. it will
> work on arches that don't use pcdisplay _explicitly_, e.g. alpha/bebox).
> Calling it VGA_SOFTCURSOR isn't much better either, since pcdisplay claims
> to support EGA and VGA devices too.

VGA is backwards compatible with EGA, so if you call it EGA_SOFTCURSOR people
will legitimately guess that VGA supports it as well. This is one case of
"intuitively obvious" that really does work; there's a well-known factoid
that enables people to guess it easily.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com