Subject: Re: Detecting boot time
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/15/1999 20:36:01
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:36:12 +0200 (CEST)
>  Lennart Augustsson <augustss@augustsson.net> wrote:
>
>  > Is there a way (in kernel code) to detect if the kernel is in
>  > the boot part or running normally?
>  > I want to know because during boot the interrups are disabled
>  > and you need to poll for completion, whereas during normal
>  > execution interrupts work.
>
> There's not really a nice way to do that right now.
>
> What I'd like to do instead is make a callback for things which want to
> do their autoconfiguration after interrupts are enabled.

That would be extremely easy to accomplish.  All I'd have to do is to
comment out one line and then the USB event thread would handle
the attachment.
But this would mean that the keyboard(s) would not get to be usable
until the system is running.  As it is you at least have a chance of
using a USB keyboard for DDB (it's not been tested, so it probably
doesn't work).  And I would still have to keep the polling code around
since, again, it is needed when you break into DDB.

So, what do you think?

--

        -- Lennart