Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/1999 14:30:28
[ On Tuesday, September 14, 1999 at 01:53:12 (+1000), Julian Assange wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
>
> 2) for the case of people like Woods is exceptionally important for
>    their ability to prove the successful adoption of their creative
>    output and consequently land the next contract. This is not
>    advertising. How many people read more than the first few acknowledgements
>    in the preface of a book, let alone what's on page 398 of the users
>    guide in the finest micropoint font? You wouldn't find it unless you
>    were looking. But that's just what people like woods want. They want
>    to be able to proove their bonafides by saying "go look on page 398".

If that isn't hitting the nail squarely on the head then I don't know
what is!  Thank you *very* much for a much more lucid attempt at
explaining this issue!

Acknowledgments in code and freeware products are equally, if not more
important than peer review publication is in my business.  As an example
a whole room of marketing and sales guys at a meeting I was attending
last week were completely silenced when the one of them with a clue was
able to acknowledge the importance of my being the maintainer for some
well known software.  I can now "own" almost any part of the
infrastructure building process in their venture that I care to name.
That's because the same thing works in their side of the business --
they respect each other based on what projects they were intimately
involved in, even if those projects weren't ultimately the most
successful examples.  The actual peers on a technical project will
evaluate each other based directly on their code or designs or whatever,
but the guy who signs the PO wants to see my name in such
acknowledgements -- it's the reference that corroberates my resume and
proves that my peers find my work of some value.

I've been so close to the issue that I've completely missed the fact
that it might just not be obvious to everyone what my intention is in
having my work "visibly" acknowledged but yet not have my name literaly
spread in lights without my direct approval!

There's no intent for a hidden agenda here -- I just didn't realize it
wasn't 100% obvious to all lookers on.

(There is a second agenda to my raising this issue, which should be
equally obvious too and is certainly not intended to be hidden:  This
driver of mine is a test case to feel out just where TNF stands on this
issue of private developer copyrights.  It's not a core part of the
product but it's interesting and unique enough to attract attention.)

--
							Greg A. Woods