Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: M Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/1999 09:13:04
woods@most.weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:

> [ On Sunday, September 12, 1999 at 22:01:10 (-0400), der Mouse wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
> >
> > Pity to see people more interested in seeing their name in lights than
> > in helping other people.
>
> If you want my "help" (i.e. my intellectual property) for "free"
> (i.e. without paying me directly for creating it) then you'd better "put
> my name in lights", or rather at least publicly acknowledge my
> contribution.  In fact if you really like how I'm "helping" then you
> should be more than willing to acknowledge my contribution and this goes
> double for anyone who's making a profit by re-selling something that
> I've contributed to.
>
> I'm more than willing to leave my name in obscurity if I'm being
> compensated adequately in other ways.

And Greg isn't the only one who feels this way.  I have decided about
6 months back that I won't be donating anymore code to the TNF under
the license until I am guaranteed that in the CODE at least my name
isn't removed.  Right now the license doesn't protect against that.

The idea that people who want credit for work done are somehow
unwilling to help others "for free" is pretty silly.  If you don't
want to have your name listed in the code then don't, but don't
require others to feel the same.

--Michael