Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/1999 10:58:12
Paul A Vixie <vixie@mibh.net>  wrote:
 > the netbsd project has the power to incentivize additional people to write
 > and contribute code, by making it possible for them to get credit.  some
 > developers don't care about this.  some do.  i don't want to turn away the
 > people who do care about this, since i believe that the loss of their
 > contributions would hurt the project's goals more than the cost of tallying
 > their names and discrete copyright statements does.

Provided that I, as a potential commercializer of a NetBSD based product,
am not forced to include dozens of lines of attribution clause in the 1/3
page ad I take out in Linux Journal because I need to mention that my
product supports some arbitrary list of hardware for which there are
NetBSD drivers written by dozens of different people who insist that I place
their names in my 1/3 page ad.

I'm more than happy to place names in documentation or source code but
don't make me destroy $5000/month of ad copy all for the sake of vanity.