Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: None <clovis@home.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/1999 12:23:18
My first and last word to the discussion:

I don't mind giving a credit in the NetBSD documentation to Chunk
Silvers for UVM, I don't mind giving credit to Ross for Alpha
multiprocessor staff, Jason for all the cool staff he has done,
Lennart for audio & USB, Itojun for IPV6 & sh3 or all the other
people who did substantial work for NetBSD (they are just
too many to mention them all, I cooperated mainly with Christos,
St. Bill, Charles Hannum & Bill Sommerfeld so far and they helped
me a lot, thanks!).

But I do mind if someone demands the same kind of credit
for relatively tiny work, as the lm75 driver AFAICS is. In fact,
I mind more because he _demands_ the credit than the fact it's
not a huge contribution.

Note: all the code I wrote within my own projects is copyrighted with
either old-style-BSD-with-adverticement-clause-included or GNU
or whatever is suitable. That's my right and I utilize it.
Though, when I contribute to some other project (such as PHP, MySQL,
KDE or NetBSD), I usually leave just the "Originally wrote by
Jaromir Dolecek" message in the source code and I let the author
decide which licence this piece code would be available under and
whether he gives me some credit or not. I'm happy I can use the
software and the author(s) put much more efford into it then me
when writing the enhancement. I don't want to sponge upon his/her/their
work.

Iff we may live without the Woods's driver (and we clearly can,
given that we survived so long without it), I'm against including
it in tree unless the license would be changed. Nathan's lm driver
would be hopefully more suitable.

You know, the BSDs are all based on the work of thousands smaller
or larger contributors. We would be nothing without their support.
Eveone is welcome to enhance our OS to make it better. But
people should keep in mind that the code could not be accepted
if it's license is too cumbersome to deal with.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
"The only way how to get rid temptation is to yield to it." -- Oscar Wilde