Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/13/1999 12:36:25
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > If you would like to remain as copyright holder:
> >
> > /*
> >  * Copyright (c) YEAR John Doe.
> >  * All rights reserved.
> >  *
> >  * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> >  * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> >  * are met:
> >  * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> >  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> >  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> >  *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> >  *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
> >  * 3. Neither the name of the author(s) nor the names of its
> >  *    contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
> >  *    from this software without specific prior written permission.
>
> Now I'm confused.  I thought this (#3) was the "advertising clause" that
> TNF wanted to eliminate on individual developer copyrights yet here it
> is in black and white (at least on my monitor! ;-).

This is not the original "advertising clause 3", it's the original
"clause 4".  The original "advertising clause 3" was:

   3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
      must display the following acknowledgement:
         This product includes software developed by the University of
         California, Berkeley and its contributors.

Simon.