Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Frank Warren <clovis@home.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/12/1999 21:22:05
>> [T]his [opinion] is Gnu Public Virus nonsense,
>
>I don't see why you drag the GPL into this.  I'm certainly no fan of
>it; whether or not I agree with Stallman on this point, I disagree with
>him on many others.

Because it's the GPL attitude.  You "owe" it to the world to produce
software communism.  It's all over your remarks.  You should not think of
yourself and your potential return on your labor: you should turn it all
over to "The world" in the spirit of general communism.  I know Stallman got
burned on a project, but his overreaction, and yours, are -- as cures --
possibly worse than the disease.

The day we say software has NO commercial value, NO valid commercial
potential, it is by definition the same sort of hobby as collecting dirt or
producing air.

>> and why many of us are BSD fans to begin with.
>
>I would not presume to tell any of you why you are or aren't BSD fans.
>I'm not even sure why I am - it probably depends on the answer to "as
>opposed to what?".  Again, what does this have to do with what I said?

The GPVirus of cousre.  That was the rational inference to my comment.

>> Perhaps his license agreement is somehow onerous, but this is the
>> wrong atttitude.  He's entitled to his work, and to copyright it if
>> he wants to.
>
>Oh, certainly he's entitled to it, at least under most current legal
>systems.  I just find it, as I said, a pity that he exercises that
>right to the point of allowing his desire to see his name advertised
>get in the way of letting his software help people it otherwise could.

It may not occur to you yet, but people have the right to spend their time
as they please, and a right to get what return on that time they deem fit.
If Greg's copyright is somehow onerous, it is precisely the Foundation's
right to pass on his code.  But, also, it is his equal right, considering
that we all still have to work for a living, and it takes most of us most of
our time, to have SOME kind of recognition of his effort.

My objection to your remark is that you imply that he is being selfish by
wanting to retain the rights to his own work.  Any system that does not
recognise intellectual or other capital property is, by definition, outright
communism.  I think you will find little sympathy in the NetBSD community
for your proposal that this is how all of us should be asking.  By the way,
how is HURD?