Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/12/1999 23:35:20
[ On Monday, September 13, 1999 at 12:36:25 (+1000), Simon Burge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
>
> > >  * 3. Neither the name of the author(s) nor the names of its
> > >  *    contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
> > >  *    from this software without specific prior written permission.
> >
> > Now I'm confused.  I thought this (#3) was the "advertising clause" that
> > TNF wanted to eliminate on individual developer copyrights yet here it
> > is in black and white (at least on my monitor! ;-).
>
> This is not the original "advertising clause 3", it's the original
> "clause 4".  The original "advertising clause 3" was:
>
>    3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
>       must display the following acknowledgement:
>          This product includes software developed by the University of
>          California, Berkeley and its contributors.

That's what I thought.

That's why the wording of my terms is indeed quite different.

The only thing I care about advertising and promotional material is that
my name *NOT* be used except with my explicit permission for each and
every instance of its use.

I do want my name to be recognized as a contributor though and since
TNF attempts to cater NetBSD towards binary distribution I feel that my
clause requiring separate and explicit notice of my contribution is the
only way I'm going to attain such acknowledgment for each and every
possible form of re-distribution.

That's why I have asked repeatedly for clarification and that people
re-read my terms very very carefully and to tell me exaclty what is
wrong and to propose precise wording changes that would abate their
objections.

--
							Greg A. Woods