Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/12/1999 23:07:20
>> Pity to see people more interested in seeing their name in lights
>> than in helping other people.
> If you want my "help" (i.e. my intellectual property) for "free"
> (i.e. without paying me directly for creating it) then you'd better
> "put my name in lights", or rather at least publicly acknowledge my
> contribution.

In that case, your license terms are probably about right.

And I feel it's a pity that you feel that way.

> In fact if you really like how I'm "helping" then you should be more
> than willing to acknowledge my contribution

And I probably would be, except that you are prepared to invoke the
"big hammer" of copyright law to *make* me do so.

*Ask* me to, and I (probably) will have no problem with it.

*Demand* that I do so, especially when you go so far as to back it up
with The Law, and I'm far more likely to flip you the bird and either
go write my own or do without.  (TNF doesn't seem to go as far in this
direction as I do.  At present, I can live with that.  That doesn't
mean I like it.)

And yes, I practice what I preach in this respect.  Here's the IP
notice from one of my programs.  Something like this is now my standard
IP notice (and has been for some years, since I reached more or less my
current position on the matter).

/*
 * As its sole author, I explicitly place this program in the public domain.
 * It may be used by anyone in any way for any purpose, though I would
 * appreciate credit where it's due.
 *              der Mouse, mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca, 1998-08-05
 */