Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/12/1999 21:31:47
[ On Monday, September 13, 1999 at 02:54:39 (+0200), Hubert Feyrer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: what happened to the lm75(?) driver?
>
> ... which was not accepted before.
> Pity to see the bitrot just because of such issues! :(

Actually it halted in limbo because I stopped getting useful feedback
from those who actually have/had control about how they thought it might
be possible to write the terms of a copyright license that met my needs.

I still don't know if that's because my needs are directly at odds with
theirs, or if they just gave up, or what.

I've attached the most recent revision of the copyright license I'm
using for my work these days.  If someone can point out what this
license makes third party users of the code do that TNF is unwilling to
force them to do, and if they can point out some way to re-write these
terms so that my name is included in some way in every distribution
(binary or source) as a contributor (and hopefully in some way that
shows what part I've contributed) [while at the same time ensuring that
the code is otherwise freely redistributable and that derivative works
are plainly marked, etc.] and yet make the terms acceptable to TNF, then
I'll be more than happy to consider making the appropriate changes.

If my desire to retain my copyright and to have my name mentioned as a
contributor is for some reason now contrary to the new requirements of
TNF then I guess there might not be very much room to compromise.

IMNSHO TNF should be fighting for the rights of its contributors, not
forcing them to give those meager rights up just because they think
third-party vendors are somehow more important.  In fact I would want to
see TNF come to the financial aid of any contributor whos rights were
violated by any third-party vendor.  I would be more than happy to
contribute a small annual membership fee to TNF in order that it be able
to build and operate some sort of defense fund (should that ever be
necessary to defend the rights of a contributor!).  I should not have to
forfeit my ownership of my code just to have TNF help defend it (or
would TNF even defend its own rights?).

(BTW, why does everyone always write disclaimers in all uppercase? ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

BTW, any derivative of the text of the copyright notice below created by
substituting another author's name, etc., is hereby donated to the
public domain....

/*
 * Copyright (c) 1999 Greg A. Woods <woods@planix.com>
 *
 * Redistribution of this software in both source and binary forms, with
 * or without modification, is permitted provided that all of the
 * following conditions are met:
 *
 * 1. Redistributions of source code, either alone or as part of a
 * collective work, must retain this entire copyright notice, and the
 * following disclaimer, without alteration, in each file that contains
 * part of this software.
 *
 * 2. Redistributions of this software in binary form, either alone or
 * as part of a collective work, must reproduce this entire copyright
 * notice, the following disclaimer, without alteration, in either the
 * documentation, and/or header files, and/or other materials provided
 * as part of the distribution.
 *
 * 3. The following acknowledgement must appear in printed documentation
 * accompanying a physical distribution of a collective work including
 * this software, and must appear in an ASCII file accompanying an
 * electronic distribution of a collective work including this software:
 *
 *	This product includes software developed by Greg A. Woods.
 *
 * 4. The name of the author may NOT be used to endorse or promote
 * products derived from this software without specific prior written
 * permission.  The use of the author's name strictly to meet the
 * requirements of the previous terms is not to be considered promotion
 * or endorsement under this term.
 *
 * 5. Altered versions (derivative works) must be plainly marked as
 * such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.
 * This copyright notice, and the following disclaimer, must not be
 * removed from any derivative work and must not be changed in any way.
 *
 * All other rights are reserved.
 *
 * DISCLAIMER:
 *
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY GREG A. WOODS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS
 * OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
 * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
 * ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY
 * DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE
 * GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
 * INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER
 * IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
 * OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
 * IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
 */