Subject: Re: Proposal: COMPAT_FREEBSD & COMPAT_BSDI handling
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/09/1999 09:22:42
"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> I disagree. All the COMPAT options should be
> standalone. COMPAT_FREEBSD does not, in fact, need all the things all
> those defines imply. We should clean up ther kernel so we don't need
> everything under the sun any more and most of the COMPATs
> are standalone.

Hmm, that's true. As long as the emulations are concerned,
only the syscalls matter. AFAICS, only generated init_sysent.c
has to be changed then. Instead of generating sequencies as:

#ifdef COMPAT_09
#else
#endif

it should generate appropriate

#if defined(COMPAT_09) || defined(COMPAT_FREEBSD)
#else
#endif

etc.

Shouldn't be too hard to implement. sys/kern/syscalls.conf
would have one more variable defined, say compatops_dep,
in the form as:

compatops_dep="freebsd:compat_09 ... hpux:compat_43" etc.

and makesyscalls.sh would be adjusted to generate proper
ifdefs. Thoughts ?

Jaromir