Subject: Re: buffer starvation & the vnd driver
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Gandhi woulda smacked you <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/05/1999 11:38:04
On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

# On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Erik E. Fair wrote:
# > I'm interested in seeing this fixed because I'd like to do something
# > similar to Roland for Power Macintosh, assuming we can get some HFS/HFS+
# > support written.
# For HFS/HFS+, I think our best bet is to port the Darwin HFS module. We'd
# then be bug-for-bug compatibility w/ MacOS X. :-)

On a tangent, here, what do people think of an NFS cachefs, i.e. just a
random big chunk of disk which caches NFS files (from many filesystems on
a MRU basis)?

Or do I misunderstand what the intent of cachefs is, or is this just another
egregious hack on the side of some operating system?

Feedback on this, mostly, is what i'm interested in.  I can't help but think
that if we can cache the FS information after an access in some other place
besides the main in-core buffer cache, access times after the first
reference through NFS might improve.

...or are we already doing this?

	"Just click on the START button and your journey to the Dark Side
	 will be complete!"