Subject: Re: buffer starvation & the vnd driver
To: None <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/03/1999 13:52:51
Hi,

> Sounds like much more of an msdosfs bug than I understood it to be, though
> we should find an FS-I solution.

Hmm, if I understand the problem correctly, this cannot be attributed to
msdosfs alone.  While the problem manifests itself for msdosfs much more
often, it should be possible to trigger a similar case on e.g. ffs.  On
ffs, the fileststem may have to read indirect blocks during translation of
logical to physical sectors, and thus can reach the same deadlock as with
msdosfs and the FAT blocks.  IMHO, we have to find a more general solution
for the vnd device.

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--