Subject: Re: sd rereads
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/01/1999 22:15:43
> The *only* time this is a problem is when you change the label behind
> the kernel's back (so to speak).

True.

> I'm not sure I consider this even vaguely a problem --

Well, it seems to bother at least two of us (cgd and me), whether or
not anyone else considers it a problem. :-)

> especially since you have to do an ioctl to enable writing of the
> sector with the label anyway (well, on most platforms).

Not on the SPARC, certainly; sunlabel has no problem scribbling on
sector zero, and the only ioctls it does are TIOCGWINSZ and/or
TIOCGSIZE (depending on which is defined at compile time) and, now that
I've added the code to, a DIOCGDINFO/DIOCSDINFO pair when you issue the
command to set the in-core label.  (It's always had a command to write
the on-disk label; I just recently, when I noticed this problem, added
a command to set the in-core label via DIOCSDINFO.)

Reading dev/scsipi/sd.c makes it appear that it's not irrelevant that I
always use RAW_PART (c on the ports I usually use) with sunlabel.  I
don't think this invalidates the argument, though.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca