Subject: Re: sd rereads
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/01/1999 15:46:28
On Wed 01 Sep 1999, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 04:02:26PM -0700, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> > der Mouse  <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:
> > > Back a version or two ago, on last close of an sd device, almost all
> > > state would be cleared - in particular, on next open the disklabel
> > > would be reread.
> >
> > If it no longer does this, i'd call that a "serious bug."
>
> I think I know why it does this: for disks without NetBSD disklabel,
> you can but an incore disklabel (disklabel, mbrlabel, ...) but then you
> had to keep a partition open, otherwise the in-core label would be lost.
> I think now it re-reads the label only when the device has changed.
> I think this went in as a side effect of the changes I made to open a device
> without media, but it was intentionally left in.

If it was _intentionally_ left in, I had at least expected it to be discussed
somewhere! This is one of those changes with weird unexpected side effects.
At least the installation on the atari is not really behaving as expected
in some situations since the changes made by edahdi(1) will not be picked
by the following edlabel(1).

Leo.