Subject: Re: sd rereads
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/01/1999 09:36:01
>>> [...] on next open the disklabel would be reread.
>> If it no longer does this, i'd call that a "serious bug."
> I think I know why it does this: for disks without NetBSD disklabel,
> you can but an incore disklabel (disklabel, mbrlabel, ...) but then
> you had to keep a partition open, otherwise the in-core label would
> be lost.  I think now it re-reads the label only when the device has
> changed.

This is reasonable, except it ends up breaking cases like mine, where
the media is not removable.  Perhaps the label should be reread
normally in most cases, but if an in-core label has been set without
also setting the on-disk label, the set label should be sticky (unless
specifically cleared somehow)?

> Doesn't 'disklabel -r' re-read it ?

Not in a small test I just did.  I used sunlabel to modify the on-disk
label, checked with disklabel to verify that it didn't see the change,
and then applied "disklabel -r" to the disk in question.  It printed
"disklabel: no disk label", and when I checked again "disklabel" still
printed the pre-change label.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca