Subject: Re: coredump following symlinks
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.arlington.ma.us>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/27/1999 15:17:38
On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 08:11:05AM -0400, John Kohl wrote:

> MB> I checked that this does the rigth thing, that is no coredump is created
> MB> if file exists (even if it's a symlink which doesn't point to anything),
> MB> but it is otherwise.
>
> Grr.  I actually find it useful to symlink ~/core (well, not as useful
> on NetBSD since it uses <progname>.core) to /var/tmp/core.jtk
> I hate waiting for core dumps in my home directory to write over NFS,
> and usually I don't want the core dump anyway.

Why not 'limit coredumpsize 0' then ?

> I'd rather find a solution that is safe but allows dumping to symlinked
> core names.

It's really hard, I fear we will always be able to get a root program
dumping core for some time ...
For security I'd really like to be able to disable core dumps on symlinks.
Would a sysctl be an option ?

pretty basic kind of bug - and if the root run program has that bug, it most likely has your typical "buffer overrun" type (execute my code please) type bug as well. kre ps: I just saw your followup, but I will send this anyway, the crack about csh is worth it...