Subject: Re: cache_*() case-insensitive searching
To: Jaromir Dolecek <dolecek@ics.muni.cz>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/08/1999 09:47:29
On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 08:24:03AM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > Also, cache_lookup uses a hash table; it's somewhat hard to fold a
> > case-insensitive string compare into that as you'd be looking in the
> > wrong hash bucket most of the time.
>
> If I rean the code correctly, the hash is over the directory vnode
> capability number, so that it shouldn't affect case-[in]sensitivness
> of the search.
>
> > You can deal with this in a monocase filesystem by canonicalizing the
> > case of the component name before calling cache_lookup() and
> > cache_enter(); reverse lookups in the cache (for sys_getcwd) will get
> > the canonical form of the name, which is presumably the right thing..
>
> Monocase fs in tree is filecorefs only, right ?

wrong.

ADOSFS is of the 2nd kind: case-insensitive (but -preserving).
msdosfs comes to my mind... hasn't it some sort of case-insensitivity?
(And I plan to wirte a os9 file system soon, which is case-insensitive but
 -preserving if I recall right)

So whatever you do better works with this.

Regards,
	Ignatios