Subject: ptrace and exit()
To: None <>
From: Brian C. Grayson <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/07/1999 02:55:03
  We currently use the ptrace facility in a project where we need
to twiddle a process' state before it is really running.  We also
need to inspect a process' state right before it exits.  From the
man pages and experimentation, it doesn't look like ptraced
processes allow this -- once the process exits, no further
ptrace operations can be done on it, such as examining its

  I can't think of any good way around this that does not require
recompiling the executable (or dynamic library).  Any good ideas?