Subject: PIONEER SCSI CD-ROM "changer"
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/04/1999 09:33:43
The problem lies with the number of SCSI errors I get  in accessing
any one of the six mounted disks.  Well, I'm lying.  I only have two
/dev/cd?a devices so I can only speak of SCSI errors on two disks:

cd0(ahc0:4:0):  Check Condition on opcode 0x28
    SENSE KEY:  Hardware Error
   INFO FIELD:  96
     ASC/ASCQ:  Synchronous Data Transfer Error

This is under NetBSD-1.3.2, with an Adaptec 2940 (or somesuch) and
the PIONEER DRM-624X.  The INFO FIELD varies (I have 676 on the
screen in addition to 96) and the error seems harmless, but it may
seriously impact performance.  Actually, I have seen commands such
as "ls" terminate prematurely, so it is not entirely harmless.

I note in /sys/dev/scsipi/cd_scsis.c, both in 1.3.2 and in 1.4, that
there is explicit mention of PIONEER _and_ DRM-600, but it is
conditioned out.  What I'd like to know, firstly, is how best to
diagnose the problem and eliminate it, and, second choice, how to
contact Julian, if he is still the main contributor to that code.

Any other form of assistance in this regard will be gratefully
accepted.

++L