Subject: Re: detaching SCSI devices
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/09/1999 01:41:29
>> [config_detach and FSTATE_STAR devices]

> Actually, as far as i'm concerned, the "right thing" to do here is
> jsut keep the # of the first unit to be allocated to cloning
> (FSTATE_STAR) devices, then just search for a free slot.

This is equivalent to just starting from unit 0 and searching for a
free slot; consider

scsibus0 at ....
scsibus* at ...
sd4 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 1
sd* at scsibus?

The first unit the sd* can use is 0, but 4 has to be skipped.  If you
can skip 4 in your search, you can just start at 0 and skip when you
have to anyway.

> simple, stupid, and it doesn't have to be particularly efficient, so
> there's no point in going to a bunch of trouble optimizing it.

Very true.  (I really don't care if it takes a millisecond instead of a
microsecond to detach a disk.)  You can bet any system with enough
disks configured to make that search the least bit lengthy also has the
computrons to handle it.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca