Subject: Separate I&D-cache
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/08/1999 15:18:25
Hi,

can anyone explain the expected semantics of the sys_execve code with
regard to separate I&D-caches?  Especially when the machine dependent
code is supposed to synchronize the caches?  The only place that does
make some sense would be within the copyout routine.  However, it doesn't
look like any port currently does something like this in copyout.

The problematic places are the signal trampoline code (which is written
out by the MI code via copyout) and any code that is handled via
vmcmd_map_readvn (expecially small programs which are linked -N).
The former could be handled in the MD sendsig routine (albeit no port
seems to do this either), but I can't see how the latter should be
handled. (Since, at least on ELF, binaries linked -N didn't work until
yesterday anyway, this problem probably didn't arise before).

Comments?

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--