Subject: Re: Cheesy compression/decompression in filesystem namespace (was Re: New read & write syscalls)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/03/1999 00:32:36
On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 12:09:49PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Brian C. Grayson wrote:
>
> >   A few months ago, I hacked mount_portal to provide an
> > automatic filtering capability, suitable for
> > compression/decompression.  Some example uses, where the portal
> > is mounted on /p:
>
> That's a slightly different thing. :-) When you open a protal file, you're
> just getting back an open file descriptor. That's not a real file system,
> where you can do any number of arbitrary things. :-)

  Yes, it would take hacking the portal kernel code to at least
return something useful for readdir(), for example!  I thought
I had mentioned in my last note that it only works as a
file-filter, but I must have edited that line out.

> Though I think it's cool and should go in the examples section!

  Well, it required hacking to mount_portal -- mount_portal does
not come with rfilter and wfilter configuration options.  Nor
with the built-in http client that can deal with 8-bit data.
So it doesn't belong in an examples section, right?  Does it
appear useful enough that I should go ahead and commit my
pt_http.c, pt_filter.c, and conf.c hacks to
/usr/src/sbin/mount_portal when I have free time (ha, ha)?

  Brian