Subject: Re: Suspend/resume hooks
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/1999 23:58:43
>  > Well, the FreeBSD asleep() does something *completely* different.
>  > As I haven't yet implemented sommerfeld-asleep(), i'll probably rename
>  > it to something else..  esleep(), maybe?
> Why?  asleep() is perfectly descriptive for "asynchronous sleep".

So is async_sleep() and it doesn't cause confusion for people who may be
used to one interface or people who use both kernels.  There are people
in the second group, for sure, and it would be nice if there were more
of them.
Ideally, there should be no more unnecessary divergence of the APIs--it
would also be nice to work toward removing any API differences that there
are now (no matter where they came from, what discussions have taken place,
or what body parts have been scorched in the past).  I know that's a lot
easier said than done, but I'd be surprised if this isn't what most
people would like to see.

-allen