Subject: Re: System unique identifier.....
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/26/1999 19:48:12
On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, der Mouse wrote:

> ...and someone was under the gun for a "we
> need it yesterday" deadline.  It proved to be a simple matter to add a
> sethostid() syscall to the kernel - and this was SunOS, a vendor
> binary-only kernel.  (No, I'm not giving out the code.  I don't think I
> even have a copy any longer.

You don't need to go even that far. The other day I hacked up a
little shared lib that you put in LD_PRELOAD under Solaris. It
reads a couple of environment variables and convinces the program
you're running that it's running on a machine with whatever hostname
and hostid you like. It can be different for each program, of course.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org