Subject: Re: System unique identifier.....
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@cackle.proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/25/1999 10:04:47
On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 04:31:46PM +0900, Ken Nakata wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:31:30 +0200, Lucio De Re <lucio@cackle.proxima.alt.za> wrote:
> > My two cents' worth says it should be an arbitrary length string, stored
> > as hexadecimal digits, in the kernel configuration file and propagated to
> > the kernel.  Or, at least, I could think of a few instances where such a
> > string may be useful.
>
> Then it would not be "system unique"...

Very true.  I guess I presumed, quite incorrectly, that kernels map
uniquely to hosts.

On the other hand, ethernet numbers are unique, which is rumoured, if
I heard correctly, to be used by unscrupulous software suppliers and
web administrators to log the browsing activities of unsuspecting
visitors.  So one may attach one or more ethernet numbers to an arbitrary
string and get some additional degree of uniqueness.

But without a registry, no uniqueness can be guaranteed :-(

++L