Subject: Re: help for a first-time driver coder ?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/23/1999 09:31:22
On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 at 01:44:12PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, Alan C. Horn wrote:
> > So, I'm about to attempt to code support for an SBUS ATM card (Fore
> > Systems SBA-200 series), under NetBSD/sparc.
> >
> I was under the impression that i've heared of a Fore driver before, but
> it seems there's non in /sys. There's some ATM drivers in
> /sys/dev/ic/midway*, though. Maybe that's some starting point.
>
> Looking at existing drivers is probably the best way to start.
>

>  - Hubert

I don't think NetBSD has any support for it, but FreeBSD does, for the
PCA-200, anyway, which is a PCI version of the card.  I don't know anything
about the internals (I loaded FreeBSD for the first time ever to be able
to use this card.  :), but it requires downloading microcode (from Fore,
available in their "unix" driver packages) to the card early in the
boot.

Hope this gives you somewhere to start.  And if you ever get around
to doing the PCI version (or one for the new "HE" series of cards!), be
sure to let me know.  :) :) :)

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz