Subject: Re: IPv6/IPsec actions in 1.5
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/21/1999 00:15:49
On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 06:51:42AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> 	(please route further discussion to tech-net)
>
> 	After bunch of discussion with Perry, I think the following route
> 	should be taken for 1.5:
> 	- Import KAME kernel+userland so that it can be put into 1.5.
> 	- whenever unified-ipv6 is ready (before 1.5 or after 1.5),
> 	  we'll switch the codebase to unified-ipv6.
>
> 	Please note that the final goal is to sync with unified-ipv6.
> 	If I understand correctly, 1.5 is the last chance before Y2K to
> 	import IPv6 (perry told me so).  So, I need to take the above route,
> 	rather than waiting for unified-ipv6.  As a bonus we can get KAME
> 	IPsec into the tree sooner.
> 	As one of unified-ipv6 worker I do feel sorry about this twist.
> 	If unified-ipv6 was ready for consumption this was not necessary.
> 	This is not quite ready at this moment.

For a long time we've heard that some IPv6 was going to be integrated into
NetBSD -- then we heard about the merger of the KAME and INRIA stacks.

Now it seems that something is really about to be done :-) I say: go for it.

regards
Erik Bertelsen -- hoping to get rid of hand-installation of IPv6 code for NetBSD :-)