Subject: Re: resource allocation, pcmcia, isapnp, etc.
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/18/1999 17:43:13
>Although the newconfig repository which itojun-san pointed out
>includes some interesting code, particularly pcibios.c is very
>interesting. It retrieves PCI bus configuration information
>dynamically from PCI BIOS. The author of the pcibios.c
>(UCHIYAMA Yasushi <uch@nop.or.jp> who is one of main developer of
>dynamic configuration) made this to work with both FreeBSD and
>NetBSD. Thus the pcibios.c should work with NetBSD with minimum
>change.

Um. What, exactly, is the info from a pcibios useful for?
rerouting interrupts, or more than that?

Can we use pcibios callbacks to initialize bridge devices (for
example, CardBus bigdges) whose BARs were not set by the normal
boot-time PCI initialization done by the BIOS? That is one of the
immediate gotchas for several NetBSD laptop users who could otherwise
use hardware-pcic-compatibility to support PCMCIA cards in their
cardbus slots.

The alternative is the three-pass kernel configuration of unconfigured
PCI devices and bridged buses described in gory detail in one of cgd's
posts here yesterday.

(And thanks for  the pointer.)