Subject: Re: good guys, bad guys
To: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/1999 18:50:51
> I rather dislike the way you seize the opportunity to paint a picture
> of NetBSD being the obnoxious, nasty, bad people with tasteless shirts,

You're rather too quick to sieze this opportunity to snatch imaginary
monsters out from under the bed, I fear.  I never said that "NetBSD"
did anything of the sort - go read my message again very carefully if
you somehow parsed it otherwise. For the benefit of those sitting in
the back row or not endowed with a native speaker's command of the
english language, I'll include the Cliff-notes version of my previous
rant which hopefully makes its meaning terse and clear: A bad shirt
was made.  By some collection of individuals.  The shirt was then
publically displayed by another individual who was more than old
enough to know better than to display it in front of hundreds of Linux
supporters.  This pissed off a lot of Linux people, some of whom are
helping to put together next year's FREENIX track.  This pissed off
Kirk.  This was simply not a smart thing to do.

If you're one of those actually responsible for bringing the shirts to
USENIX and donating them to the USENIX Quiz show as public prizes then
at least take full credit for doing an obnoxious, nasty, bad,
tasteless thing and resolve to show more reserve with similar
activities in the future.  All of Frank's own chosen epithets apply.
If you're a certain USENIX quiz-show host who shall remain nameless
but who's initials are Rob Kolstad, you should also get in the same
spanking line.

If you're a NetBSD user or developer or any other form of sentient
life who had nothing whatsoever to do with this whole NetBSDialtity
T-shirt then you may rest assured that you are entirely blameness and
need take no part of my previous message as being applicable to or
directed at you or your operating system in general in any way
whatsoever.  Any vague feelings of associated shame that any of you
may experience is entirely your own decision and probably more the
result of previous religious training than this particular incident.

I agree with Frank that the thread should die, we're in sync on that
much.  Those who were actually at the conference have already retired
off to mutter about it in various smaller aliases and I don't think
there's much to be gained by having people who *didn't* go theorize
aimlessly in this list about what actually did or did not happen. :)

- Jordan