Subject: Re: resource allocation, pcmcia, isapnp, etc.
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/1999 03:11:42
> BTW, integration of this work to FreeBSD was officially rejected by
> FreeBSD's core.

Speaking as a member of FreeBSD core, I can say that this is untrue.
Core has not "rejected" the newconfig group's work, officially or
otherwise, and considerable time was spent at USENIX by various
FreeBSD core members just in talking to the newconfig people in an
effort to find some common ground for future development.

We may be currently committed to the new-bus architecture, but that
does not mean there is no interest in integrating ideas or code from
the newconfig project - both projects seek to solve many of the same
fundamental problems and that makes it quite likely that each project
will influence the other to some degree as it progresses.  As to why
there are two projects working on the same basic problem at all, well,
that's already been the matter of considerable discussion and I'll not
drag it all through tech-kern. :)

- Jordan