Subject: Re: resource allocation, pcmcia, isapnp, etc.
To: None <frank@wins.uva.nl, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/17/1999 17:09:47
> Related issue: we need a way for the the user to tweak resources
> before booting the kernel. At present, we're just about the only
> Free UNIX out there that doesn't allow people to do it..

Some people are working to introduce dynamic configuration
to config.new(8) and kernel. These people are using FreeBSD,
but the work is based on our auto-configuration and our config.new(8),
thus, this can be adapted to NetBSD easily. (Note that this is
still design phase, and only experimental implementation is tried.)

I'll post about this issue to tech-kern, soon. (hopefully until
this weekend)

P.S.
BTW, integration of this work to FreeBSD was officially rejected by
FreeBSD's core.
--
soda