Subject: Re: A TODO list for cardbus/ PCMCIA support.
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/16/1999 22:24:20
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>   b) a breif description of which parts of the suggested archtecture are
>      busted, or
>   c) a description of how to solve the problem in a non-busted way?

in a nutshell, attaching stuff that's not there is broken.  not
detaching it when it goes away is broken.

There are some relatively trivial issues that need to be solved around
handling cloning devices, but they're probably an hour's worth of
hacking that's on my list.

a description of how to solve the problem in a "non-busted way" is a
bit harder, since i'm an autoconfig guy rather than e.g. a network
guy.  the solution is to fix the drivers -- and where necessary, the
network stack -- to make it possible for the drivers to be removed.
That means fixing, for instance, if_detach() so that it'll do the
right thing.

cgd