Subject: Re: A TODO list for cardbus/ PCMCIA support.
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/16/1999 22:06:43
Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org> writes:
> 	This should enable us to use pcmcia cards which are not inserted at
> 	the boot time.
> 	- probe/attach routines to attach driver stub, regardless of actual
> 	  hardware in the slot.  no hardware initiialization is made here.
> 	- attach routine registers callback routine to pcmcia service.
> 		maybe 2 functions, xx_dyn_attach and xx_dyn_detach.
> 	- xx_dyn_attach will be called on card insertion or slot powerup,
> 	  so that we can actually "attach" the card.
> 	- xx_dyn_detach will be called on card removal or slot powerdown,
> 	  so that we can actually "detach" the card (NOTE: driver will not be
> 	  detached).

I'm sorry, but this architecture is just broken.  (If you want to know
what's not, read the list archives.)

While i'm all for progress that doesn't hurt existing code, I can't
see how you can progress in this direction without severely thwacking
the existing autoconfiguration code in very bad ways.

cgd