Subject: Re: UBC info
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/16/1999 11:29:55
> I was planning on just letting i/o errors return EFAULT to the application.
> I can't think of an application that would really care whether a read()
> failed because of bogus arguments vs. an i/o error.  either way, the data
> doesn't get where it was supposed to go.

One of the hard-learned rules-of-thumb I live by is "never squish
multiple error codes into one if you can avoid it."  I get really
really twitchy when I see code which does this..

In particular, I suspect that this may cause NFS errors like
ESTALE/ETIMEDOUT/... to get mushed into EFAULT in many cases..

				- Bill