Subject: pmap_pageable()
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/16/1999 15:48:02
Hi folks...

With the passing of the brokenness in the m68k pmaps where pmap_pageable()
would actually free a page table page, I'd like to completely remove that
routine from the pmap interface.

Currently, no pmap (except for the Amiga and Atari pmaps which have not yet
been updated to the other hp300-derived pmaps) implements pmap_pageable().
The only place where it is used is in the fault-wire routines.

Given that:

	(1) No pmap implements it.

	(2) The information it supposedly communicates is more accurately
	    communicated in the per-mapping wiring status (e.g. w/
	    pmap_enter() and pmap_change_wiring()).

...it's unnecessary (and incorrect in its current use; see my previous mail).

As a side note, I'd also like to rename pmap_change_wiring() to pmap_unwire()
and remove the boolean_t argument, since pmap_enter() is the only thing that
can be used to actually wire a mapping.