Subject: Re: Regressing testing of system calls
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/14/1999 18:26:26
Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au> writes:
> > For instance, consider read():
> >
> >      [EFAULT]      buf points outside the allocated address space.
> >
> > Depending on how you're reading these things, either:
> >
> > 	(1) you wouldn't check for reading into a buffer in the
> > 	    address space but mapped read-only (e.g. read(0, &main, 1); 8-)
>
> Does this in fact cause the above error ?

yes.

> > 	(2) the kernel would be considered 'broken' to return EFAULT
> > 	    for that case.
>
> I'd agree with this, but given this, what should it return ?

it _should_ return EFAULT.  8-)

(or, of course, SEGV 8-)

> Is there a POSIX conformance test suite

I'm pretty sure that i heard that there is one available, but i dunno
from where.

> or can someone pass along where I
> can get the relevant standards document ?

IEEE.  They charge money.

> Hmmm, if we did go down this
> path, does it lead to us being able to say we are POSIX compliant ?

Not quite.  To actually say that, I seem to recall that you need to
have your conformance checked by somebody who charges a bunch of money
for doing that sort of thing.

cgd