Subject: Re: signal(SIGSEGV, SIG_IGN) -> 100% CPU
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/14/1999 16:57:41
On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 10:51:37AM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On 10 Jun 1999, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
>
> : * fixing it wastes both kernel code space and pipe() execution cycles.
> : granted, not much of either, but some of each.
>
> If `fixing it' means calling socketpair() from userspace and doing any
> necessary frobbing there, it actually means *reducing* kernel size (...and
> relegating pipe(2) to COMPAT_14).

pipe(2) is defined to be one-way. socketpair(2) creates a two-way pipe.

I didn't find any obvious way in the manual page to suppress one of the ways.
Hm. The libc wrapper could partially shutdown(2) the ends, I guess....

	-is

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of