Subject: Re: signal(SIGSEGV, SIG_IGN) -> 100% CPU
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/12/1999 10:41:48
> You remember correctly about /bin/sh.  This was especially amusing to
> the people porting v7 UNIX to the mc68000, which didn't keep enough
> state to restart the faulting instruction...

I seem to recall hearing of some machine that had two 68ks in it, one
running one instruction behind the other.  When the active one took a
trap, the other one was frozen, one instruction behind, so it could
become the active one and thus "restart" the faulting instruction.

I can see all sorts of problems with such a scheme, but if the machine
ever worked, someone clearly found solutions....

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca