Subject: Re: non-512-byte-sector devices vs. UBC
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Steven J. Dovich <dovich@lethe.tiac.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/08/1999 10:26:39
> Apollo (Domain/OS) Used 1536 byte sectors IIRC though I don't remember if
> that was a feature imposed by the hardware (WD7000-ASE ESDI and SMS-OMTI
> ESDI) or whether that was just a filesystem issue...

I have this vague recollection that it was an architectural thing,
matching sector sizes and packet length in order to optimize dataflow.
With the right system architecture, you can shortcut the path from
disk controller to network controller. Over the wire access to disk
can look (to most consumers) more or less the same as direct access.

There may be others on the list with better memories than mine on this
topic, it has been a while after all...

/sjd