Subject: Re: non-512-byte-sector devices vs. UBC
To: Ross Harvey <ross@ghs.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/08/1999 02:27:22
There is another reason for NetBSD to support other-than-512-byte-block
media: with storage I/O interfaces getting faster and faster (e.g.
IEEE-1394 "FireWire" currently at 400Mb/s, and Fibre-Channel Arbitrated
Loop (FC-AL)), there will be pressure to increase the storage block size to
make the data transferred versus overhead ratio better and more fully and
efficiently use the fast channels the hardware guys have given us. In other
words, such support would be a look to the future, in much the same way
that networking hardware (e.g. FDDI, Gigabit Ethernet) is pushing in the
same direction.

Can I cite an existing example, beyond the common CD-ROM, right now? No.
However, while I am not steeped in that world (hell, I still mostly use
Fast SCSI-2 disks), I'd lay odds that this issue is being debated in
quarters that I have no current contact with.

	bigger blocks, lower overhead,

	Erik <fair@clock.org>