Subject: Re: non-512-byte-sector devices vs. UBC
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/07/1999 11:40:57
> I've been talking with various people (ig, soda, others) lately about
> non-512-byte-sector devices and filesystems [...]

> I see several way of addressing this problem:

> (3) change DEV_BSIZE to 1, and make b_blkno a 64bit field (possibly by way
> 	of changing "daddr_t" to a 64bit type).

At first sight this looks astonishingly radical.  On further
reflection, it strikes me as radical but elegant.  I'll have a little
userland code of my own to change, but less than I thought, and that
much only to deal properly with filesystems >2G on 32-bit machines.

Since I'm unlikely to be doing any of the work, I really don't have a
vote, even if this were a voting situation.  Notwithstanding that, I
vote for (3). :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca