Subject: Re: nfsd and process load sharing
To: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@bosch.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/04/1999 13:24:57
On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 12:50:01PM +0200, Guenther Grau wrote:
> Frank van der Linden wrote:
> >
> > NFS requests are handed to the first available nfsd process. In your case,
> > it seems that requests are coming in at a low enough rate that most of them
> > can be handled by the same (the first) nfsd, because it's not busy.
> >
> > I could change the code to put free nfsds at the back of the queue so that
> > nfsds are used round-robin if it makes you feel happy ;-)
>
> Huh, I'd prefer not to change this behaviour. Reusing the same
> nfsd might have some advantages. It will more likely have more pages
> in memory (, more cache lines valid?). Or is this not true because
> the code pages are shared and the data segments are small?

Even for normal programs, code pages are shared.

nfsd is, however, special: it enters the kernel and never leaves it again;
the bulk of executed code (and accessed data structures) is in the kernel.

Regards,
	Ignatios
--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of