Subject: Re: SGI XFS filesystem
To: Christos Zoulas <>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/28/1999 15:41:21 (Christos Zoulas) writes:
> There are some implications of changing the layout:
> 	- many user programs will need to be modified to include the
> 	  correct headers
> 	- kernel sources will have to be moved

Sure, but every few years you've gotta have a bunch of churn!  how
long has it been since sys/arch was created?  8-)

> I personally like something like fs/ufs, fs/nfs, fs/ntfs... I don't
> think that classify them further serves any useful purpose except
> adding bytes to source files.

Actually, i think the 'ufs' thing is a bad idea.  i'd like to see:

etc.  At least things would be nice and consistent that way.

> And finally, we can go the solaris direction and move all the fs related
> commands into separate directories and leave only the central command
> behind.

Actually, with the exception of the directories, we're going in that
direction already...  8-)

Chris Demetriou - -