Subject: Re: bin/7656: run kvm_mkdb at boot to fix dmesg error
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/28/1999 14:37:06
Chris G. Demetriou wrote:

> Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org> writes:
> > This gives wierd errors on a pmax:
> >
> > 	mona:~ 11# sysctl -n machdep.booted_kernel
> > 	3/rz2/netbsd
> > 	mona:~ 12# kvm_mkdb `sysctl -n machdep.booted_kernel`
> > 	kvm_mkdb: 3/rz2/netbsd: No such file or directory
>
> uhm that's because the pmax sets is 'wrong'
>
> 3/rz2/ isn't the name of the booted kernel, it's the partition and
> disk on which that kernel reside.  8-)

For diskless pmaxes here, the 'booted_kernel' would be "3/tftp" or
"mop()" or similar but it's perfectly legal to have "3/tftp/fred" or
"mop()fred" to explicitly override the "bf" in the bootptab.  Where I've
done this, I still have the kernel in "/netbsd" in the diskless client
area.

Given that it's a "machdep", should this "restriction" on what
the contents of 'booted_kernel' are?  If so, then I can change
'booted_kernel' to something like 'kernel_location' and make
'booted_kernel' the basename of that, but then that may not make sense
for diskless boots...

Perhaps it's easier to have an rc.conf variable determining whether or
not to use machdep.booted_kernel?

Simon.