Subject: Re: bin/7656: run kvm_mkdb at boot to fix dmesg error
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/27/1999 21:43:49
Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org> writes:
> Given that it's a "machdep", should this "restriction" on what
> the contents of 'booted_kernel' are?

depends on your point of view...  since i created the first version,
AFAIK...  8-)

there certainly is precedent for machdep kernels with standard names
and meanings...

> If so, then I can change
> 'booted_kernel' to something like 'kernel_location' and make
> 'booted_kernel' the basename of that, but then that may not make sense
> for diskless boots...

does userland really particularly care how the kernel was booted?

> Perhaps it's easier to have an rc.conf variable determining whether or
> not to use machdep.booted_kernel?

The notion was in creating it that using machdep.booted_kernel isn't
going to be worse than just using /netbsd.

I still think that's probably true.

cgd