Subject: Re: Multiple keyboards and mice
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@iafrica.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/27/1999 09:05:05
On Wed, 26 May 1999, Lennart Augustsson wrote:
>    3) Make a mux device that handles merging, use it for both keyboard
>       and mouse events.  (I've mostly implemented this and I'm using
>       it for my mice.)

I think that this would be the right solution.

I envisage some way of telling the console driver that {muxkbd0,
muxmouse0, screen0, audio0} are different aspects of display0, and some
way of telling the mux driver how to make muxkbd0 and muxmouse0 from
whatever physical keyboards and mouses are around.  The mux driver would
probably also need to map the real scan codes from the physical devices
into "device-independent" virtual scan codes.

--apb (Alan Barrett)