Subject: Merced?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Mike Cheponis <mac@Wireless.Com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/26/1999 13:45:01
Is anybody working on the Merced port? Some info is at:

<http://developer.intel.com/design/ia64/architecture.htm>

 From this article <http://www.sjmercury.com/business/top/009226.htm> I quote:

     Software developers will still require access to the operating
     systems, development tools and, especially, the compilers before
     they can actually write software applications specifically for
     Merced. But the information being released by HP and Intel will
     help software companies start designing their next generation of
     applications, said Stephen L. Smith, vice president and general
     manager of Intel's IA/64 division

     ``We've gotten to the point where we have eight operating systems
     up and running (on IA/64) and tools that allow software developers
     to begin their work,'' Smith said. ``What this information will
     give to software developers is an understanding that this is a new
     type of architecture and has some exciting potential,'' Smith noted.

Also, I wonder which 8 operating systems are up and running?

-mac