Subject: Re: atapi tape thing again...
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/25/1999 11:50:40
On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 03:30:41PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 1999 at 09:08:12AM -0400, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
> > Would supporting atapi tape drives be far too nasty a project to attempt?
>
> No idea. But apparently, you have a device, and you have reference code
> to look at, so you are certainly in a position to figure out what's missing,
> and verify wether what you write is working, so go ahead.

No. Actually, I don't have a device.

If it looks like something I can do, I'll shell out for one and give it a
try.

> "No reply" probably just means "nobody is working on it, all others use SCSI
> tapes."

I'm not looking for someone to be working on it. I'm mostly interested in
having some sort of road map - even a vague one. I want to work on it myself.
I aspire to be a kernel hacker someday. Maybe I'm too lazy for this, but a
road map doesn't seem like an awful crutch to want. :) I'll still be driving
"there" myself. I have problems working on code that I won't use myself, but
I see an ATAPI tape driver as something I'd use, so I think I'd be motivated.

<shrug>

--
                           /\
     Mason Loring Bliss   /()\   mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us